[NERsafety] [NER SAFETY] - Safety of Flight Alert - Cold Temperature Restricted Airports (Instrument Approaches)

Paulo Costa pcosta at ner.cap.gov
Tue Dec 22 21:04:13 EST 2015

Greetings,

As I was browsing the Jan 2016 edition of the AOPA Pilot publication, a
brief article on top of page 10 called my attention. I am sure that most of
you already know about this, but I am still taking the risk of sharing it
with you, fellow Wing Safety Directors in our Region, so you may guarantee
broad distribution of this message to all the pilots in our Wings and safer
operations.

This email is neither an Operational nor a Stan/Eval official guidance by
any chance. The Directors of those branches in each Wing and/or Region are
the ones to determine any required action/guidance, if applicable. This
note is simply a message from NER Safety to raise awareness to new FAA
requirements and reduce the risks associated with our operations within the
approaching inclement weather season. My recommendation is that you add
these steps in all Risk Management analysis associated to all our flight
planning during the winter.

This note is related to the operations of all airplanes equipped with
conventional barometric altimeters. The GDC 74A (Garmin Air Data Computer
on G1000 models) is capable of processing pitot/static and OAT data, and
apparently may be set to automatically compensate for those errors, if set
to do so (I have to further research this on my own). Regardless of the
altimeter system in use, the procedures mentioned on the NOTAM below may be
applied to both scenarios, at the discretion of the pilot-in-command, and
it is recommended that pilots become familiar with the adjustment process,
if required, during flight planning.

The FAA has recently released a 601-page NOTAM, dated Dec 10 2015, which
includes Section GEN14001 for Cold Temperature Restricted Airports,
starting on page 4−GEN−14, see attached document named "12-10-15-NTAP.pdf".
Instructions on that section became mandatory in 2015.

To my surprise, several airports around our Region are impacted by this
NOTAM. As of Dec 10 2015, the following airports in our Region are
impacted, and would require special flight planning considerations when
expecting to fly an instrument approach when temperatures are at or below
the entries below:

Identifier / Airport Name / Temperature

*Connecticut*
KBDL Bradley Intl −23C/−9F

*Maine*
KCAR Caribou Muni -27C/-17F
KIZG Eastern Slopes Rgnl -18C/0F
KMLT Millinocket Muni -24C/-11F
KPQI Northern Maine Rgnl -25C/-13F
B19 Buddeford Muni -31C/-24F
3B1 Greenville Municipal -21C/-6F

*Massachusetts*
KBAF Westfield-Barnes Regional -20C/-4F
KGBR Walter J. Koladza -21C/-6F
KORE Orange Muni -21C/-6F
KPSF Pittsfield Muni -24C/-11F
0B5 Turners Falls −22C/−8F
7B2 Northampton -24C/-11F

*New Hampshire*
KBML Berlin Rgnl -22C/-8F
KCNH Claremont Muni -24C/-11F
KEEN Dillant−Hopkins −28C/−18F
KHIE Mount Washington Rgnl -29C/-20F
KLEB Lebanon Muni -20C/-4F

*New Jersey*
KFWN Sussex -24C/-11F

*New York*
KART Watertown Intl -36C/-33F
KCZG Tri−Cities −15C/5F
KDSV Dansville Muni -18C/0F
KELM Elmira/Corning Rgnl -16C/3F
KELM Elmira/Corning Rgnl -27C/-17F
KGFL Floyd Bennett Memorial -17C/1F
KHTF Hornell Muni −21C/−6F
KITH Ithaca Tompkins Rgnl -19C/-2F
KLKP Lake Placid -11C/12F
KLKP Lake Placid −21C/−6F
KMSS Massena Intl-Richards Field -33C/-27F
KPBG Plattsburgh Intl -28C/-18F
KSCH Schenectady County -21C/-6F
KSLK Adirondack Rgnl -23C/-9F
KVGC Hamilton Muni -25C/-13F
N03 Cortland County-Chase Field -25C/-13F
N23 Sidney Muni −20C/−4F
N89 Joseph Y Resnick −15C/5F
06N Randall -20C/-4F
20N Kingston−Ulster −21C/−6F

*Pennsylvania*
KAVP Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Intl -21C/-6F
KIPT Williamsport Rgnl -10C/14F
KIPT Williamsport Rgnl -18C/0F
KLHV William T. Piper -15C/5F
KMDT Harrisburg Intl −17C/1F
KRVL Mifflin County −22C/−8F
N27 Bradford County -24C/-11F
N96 Bellefonte -21C/-6F

*Vermont*
KBTV Burlington Intl -14C/7F
KDDH William H. Morse State -17C/1F
KDDH William H. Morse State -24C/-11F
KEFK Newport State -22C/-8F
KMLV Morrisville−Stowe State -15C/5F
KRUT Rutland-Southern Vermont Rgnl -4C/25F
KRUT Rutland-Southern Vermont Rgnl -18C/0F
KVSF Hartness State (Springfield) −24C/−11F

Approach plates with a "snow flake", as highlighted below, indicate
airports with cold temperature restrictions.

[image: Inline image 1]

That means special considerations should be taken when calculating the
vertical path to be flown on that approach. Note that not all approach
plates have already been updated with this new icon, so the list of 272
airports should be verified during flight planning.

Pilots should then use calculation procedures and examples on pages
4-GEN-24 to 26 and the ICAO table below, to adjust the vertical navigation
to be flown when executing the corrected approach.

[image: Inline image 2]

Please read the NOTAM for detailed instructions on how to properly
communicate to ATC your intentions of flying a vertically-corrected
approach path.

The AOPA link below has a very illustrative narrative of an experience a
regional pilot had while flying into Burlington VT.

https://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/April/Pilot/t_mm

Additionally, page 4-33 of the FAA-H-8083-16A handbook has detailed
information about the topic.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/instrument_procedures_handbook/media/chapter_4.pdf

NER Wing Directors, please make sure broad distribution of these new safety
requirements is made and all our NER pilot community is aware of the new
procedures.

Safe flights!

Regards,

[image: cid:9A18312A-A445-4805-8F77-524A881DDED9]

Maj Paulo Costa, CAP
Northeast Region Deputy Director of Safety
508.397.9711 (c)
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary
gocivilairpatrol.com <http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/>

[image: FB]