[NERsafety] NER Safety Publication

Paul Mondoux pemondoux at comcast.net
Fri Jul 31 20:09:48 EDT 2015

OK, I missed July and August is a repeat from several years ago.

My issue is that about 2 months ago I upgraded my primary system with
Windows 10 and of course my machine does not like it at all. All kinds of
issues and my software is not even responding properly. All my primary
software is Microsoft but it really did a job on my system. I do have other
machines that I can use but hopefully I will correct the issues by next
month.

Also I did it again I hurt myself several weeks ago in a motorcycle
accident. In making a sharp left turn "IN THE SAND" my front tire slipped
and I could not hold the bike up. The bike landed on top of me on the same
side that I injured back in January and my left leg was stuck twisted under
the bike foot caught between the gear box and rear suspension. Took three
guys to pick the bike up (850lbs). After finally getting up I continued on
my ride for another 35 miles (hurting). The next day I went to urgent care
and they took x-rays but when they got the results they sent me to the
Hospital for further examination. They said I had "SIX" broken ribs and my
left leg was badly bruised from my toes to my upper thigh. So with all of
this I have been healing again and yes of course I have been on the bike
again. BTW "THE BIKE DID NOT EVEN GET A SCRATCH" YET ANOTHER LESSON TO BE
CAREFUL IN ALL THAT WE DO. If I would had listened to myself I would have
stopped first then continued on.

Here is a good article sent to me by Col Bryan Cooper. It was written for my
newsletter so that is how it is referenced.

You Are Not Alone.

You are going to read a lot about safety in this newsletter. But safety is
more than fire extinguishers and seatbelts and checklists. You can't feel
safe if you can't trust the person next to you.

I am not saying that the observer is going to attack you and fly the plane
into the mountainside. But did he carefully check the height of all the
obstructions before you departed on your flight? Excellence is a safety
issue.

CAP asks us to do a safety check every time before we put the vehicle in
gear. I understand the temptation just to start the vehicle and go. I do it
with my POV. But do you want a person who fakes the vehicle log, to check
the fingerprints of the people around your children? Integrity is a safety
issue.

If you tell me not to be afraid because nobody has gotten seriously hurt by
tripping over the curled corner of the door mat, I am not going to bring up
some members are afraid of walking through the dark parking lot, alone after
the meeting. Respect is a safety issue.

We are a volunteer organization, not an individual volunteer. And we will
not feel safe if we can't trust the person next to us. We are a group that
must know; everybody's core values are a safety issue.

Col. Bryan W. Cooper, CAP
NER/CDI

H 401-246-2178

U. S. Air Force Auxiliary
gocivilairpatrol.com

Remember to check out the National Safety pages and the National Safety
Newsletter

Be Safe and "if you think something is unsafe report it and don't continue"

Lt Col. Paul Mondoux, CAP
Northeast Region Director of Safety
(C) 603-759-0178
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary